The Art of the Box
Sep. 25th to 29th, 2023 | 9:00am to 5:00pm
In this class students will learn how to apply patterns, textures and colors to the surfaces of sculpturally shaped boxes. There will be an emphasis will be on using the bandsaw to shape and sculpt boxes with pleasing curves while exploring unusual, fun, and zany shapes.
- Material is included
- Lunch is included
See Details and Tool List Below
Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
Weekdays – Daytime
Name: The Art of the Box: Making Sculptural Boxes that Incorporate Intricate Pattern and Color
Instructor: Michael Cullen
Skill Level: Beginner to Advanced
Format: Week long in-person course
September 25th to 29th, 2023
In this workshop you will explore the art of box making while discovering ideas that fall outside of conventional woodworking practices. You will learn how to apply patterns, texture and colors to the surfaces of sculpturally shaped boxes. Emphasis will be on using the bandsaw to shape and sculpt boxes with pleasing curves while exploring unusual, fun, and zany shapes. This class is perfect for the beginner who is curious about making things from wood and is equally appropriate for the expert who is looking to experiment and create something new and fresh.
Lunch will be provided each weekday.
Topics and skills covered will include:
- Machine and Tool safety
- Carving Design
- Box Design
- Carving Tools
- Basic Sharpening
- Surface Carving
- Cutting curves on the bandsaw
- Crafting beautiful boxes
What you’ll need:
- Carver’s mallet
- Small or large is fine
- Gouge set – 5/30, 12/6, 9/10, 8/7, 9/3
- Recommended brand Pfeil – Pfeil Swiss made gouges are very well made and they arrive sharp and ready for work. If you do not go with Pheil, please make sure your gouges are sharp before class.
- Recommend Brand – Ariou from France. There’s also a Chinese semi equivalent that’s not bad. Nicholson 49s also work but they’re a bit coarse.
Optional (If you don’t bring your own you will have to share the school’s limited quantity)
- Sharpening strop with compound if they have one.
Austin School of Furniture has the right to cancel this class at anytime if the minimum amount of students is not reached.