Carving with a Classical Flair
February 6th to 10th, 2023 | 9:00am to 5:00pm
Carving with a Classical Flair class is perfect for anyone looking to getting to carving or improve their existing carving abilities. This particular class focuses on carving in a traditional style or design. After this course, you will have the skills and confidence to add gorgeous embellishments to your furniture projects or use it as a standalone piece of art in your home.
- Materials included
See below for tool list and more detail.
Name: Carving with a Classical Flair
Instructor: Alexander Grabovetskiy
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate
Format: 5 Day in-person course
Carving has been around since the dawn of woodworking and the carving designs and styles have changed many, many times. This class focuses on carving in a classical style.
In this carving course, you will not only learn about carving tools and how to use them, but you will walk away with a classically styled carving crafted from your very own hands. Each year, students design the class project together as a group so your piece will be unique from any other class.
After taking this Austin School of Furniture carving course, you will be able to design and carve beautiful, classical decorations with only a few carving tools. Going forward, you will have the skills and confidence to add gorgeous embellishments to your furniture projects or use it as a standalone piece of art in your home.
Topics and skills covered will include:
- The ancient art of carving discussion
- Classical design development
- Thinking in 3D and the art of composition
- How to think in 3D before you carve-the art of composition
- Carving tools, their usage, and safety
- Sharpening carving tools
- Proper carving technique
- Wood grain issues
- How to carve a classical design applicable to any type of woodcarving
- Furniture, ornamental, or architectural
- Carving tips, tricks and techniques
- How to continue carving beyond the course
What you’ll need:
We recommend getting a full set of carving tools if you plan to take this course and continue to carve afterwards. We may not use everything on the list below in class but the tools mentioned are the most common for similar projects.
- Wooden mallet
- Full set of carving tools – HERE
Or recommend individual carving tools to build your own set.
- pfeil Swiss made – #11 Sweep Veiner, 1 mm, Intermediate Size
- pfeil Swiss made – #11 Sweep Veiner, 3 mm, Intermediate Size
- pfeil Swiss made – #2 Sweep Gouge 12 mm, Intermediate Size
- pfeil Swiss made – #7 Sweep Gouge 14 mm, Intermediate Size
- pfeil Swiss made – #9 Sweep Gouge 10 mm, Intermediate Size
- pfeil Swiss made – #9 Sweep Gouge 20 mm, Full Size
- pfeil Swiss made – #8 Sweep Spoon Gouge 7 mm, Intermediate Size
Sources for tools
- Highland Woodworking
- Amazon.com (Only buy from Amazon if you are sure of the brand and seller)
Austin School of Furniture has the right to cancel this class at anytime if the minimum amount of students is not reached.