Low Relief Carving
February 5th, 2023 | 9:00am to 5:00pm
Low Relief Carving is a fun and amazing carving technique that can take your furniture projects to the next level. In this one day carving class you will learn valuable carving tips and techniques from world class wood carver and instructor Alexander Grabovetskiy.
- Materials included
See below for tool list and more detail.
Name: Low Relief Carving for Furniture
Instructor: Alexander Grabovetskiy
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate
Format: 1 Day in-person course
Low relief Carving for furniture, also known as Flemish or Liège style was a very popular carving style from the 16th to 19th century in Belgian and French culture. It eventually migrated to England and was incorporated by great furniture makers such as Thomas Chippendale. Low relief carving is defined as very shallow carvings with little to no under-cutting.
In this one day carving class, we will discover the beauty and richness of low relief carving. There are special techniques to low relief carving that make it quite different than normal woodcarving. The instructor will walk you through all the fundamentals of carving as well as the techniques specific to low relief carving.
Low relief carving is not limited to just the furniture and cabinetmaking world. There is no limit of what you can do and carve with this style of woodcarving after completing this Austin School of Furniture Carving class.
Topics and skills covered will include:
- The low relief carving design discussion
- Design development
- Application of low relief carving
- Carving tools, their usage, and safety
- How to carve a low relief carving
What you’ll need:
We recommend getting a full set of carving tools if you plan to take this course and continue to carve afterwards. We may not use everything on the list below in class but the tools mentioned are the most common for similar projects.
- Wooden mallet
- Full set of carving tools – HERE
Or recommend individual carving tools to build your own set.
- pfeil Swiss made – #11 Sweep Veiner, 1 mm, Intermediate Size
- pfeil Swiss made – #11 Sweep Veiner, 3 mm, Intermediate Size
- pfeil Swiss made – #2 Sweep Gouge 12 mm, Intermediate Size
- pfeil Swiss made – #7 Sweep Gouge 14 mm, Intermediate Size
- pfeil Swiss made – #9 Sweep Gouge 10 mm, Intermediate Size
Sources for tools
- Highland Woodworking
- Amazon.com (Only buy from Amazon if you are sure of the brand and seller)
Austin School of Furniture has the right to cancel this class at anytime if the minimum amount of students is not reached.