Interim Executive Director
Organization: Austin School of Furniture Foundation
Location: Austin, Texas (preferred but not required)
Job Type: Part-time, flexible hours
Compensation: Unpaid (Until fundraising begins)
The Austin School of Furniture Foundation (ASFF) is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Executive Director to lead and grow this new organization. The foundation’s mission is to support and grow the craft and community of furniture making in Austin, Texas through the Austin School of Furniture. The Executive Director will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the foundation’s operations, including fundraising, program development, financial management, and board development.
- Fundraising and Development:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising plan that includes individual donations, corporate donations, event fundraising, grants, state and federal funding.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with donors and sponsors.
- Oversee grant writing and grant management activities.
- Develop and implement fundraising events and campaigns.
- Develop partnerships and collaborations with other organizations within the woodworking and Austin community.
- Board Development:
- Develop and maintain a strong working relationship with the Board of Directors.
- Ensure that the board is properly informed of the foundation’s activities, finances, and performance.
- Collaborate with the board to develop a strategic plan for the foundation.
- Recruit and onboard new board members as the interim board is replaced.
- Program Development and Management:
- Develop and oversee the foundation’s programs and scholarships, with a specific focus on the five main initiatives: Veterans, BIPOC, LGTBQ+, Women, and General Financial Needs.
- Ensure that all program goals, grant requirements, required regulations are met in order to keep funding and stay in good standing.
- Monitor program effectiveness and make necessary adjustments.
- Develop and maintain relationships with students, alumni, and other stakeholders within the woodworking community.
- Financial Management:
- Develop and manage the foundation’s budget.
- Ensure that the foundation operates within its budgetary guidelines.
- Work with the board of directors and staff to develop revenue-generating strategies.
- Ensure that all financial reporting is accurate and timely.
- Marketing and Public Relations:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive marketing and public relations plan.
- Increase the foundation’s visibility and brand awareness.
- Work with the board of directors and staff to develop a strong social media presence.
- Build relationships with media outlets to increase exposure.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience in nonprofit management, with a proven track record of success in fundraising, program development, and financial management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to think strategically and develop innovative solutions to complex problems.
- A passion for woodworking and furniture making.
- Experience with event management is a plus.
This position will be for the Austin School of Furniture Foundation (ASFF) which is a separate company from the Austin School of Furniture (ASF) which will remain a for-profit, private corporation.
Although the foundation will be a different company run by different individuals its mission is aligned with that of the Austin School of Furniture.
The Austin School of Furniture Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds. This is an unpaid part-time position with the goal of becoming a full-time paid position as the foundation grows and expands.
The Executive Director will have access to the school’s 5,000 sf woodshop, office space and will receive a discount on woodworking classes. If you are passionate about education, woodworking, and nonprofit management, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity.